The New Year is the best time to start practicing new lifestyle changes and habits to better your overall well-being and livelihood. Many of these lifestyle changes usually relate to dieting, exercising, or spending less. However, there are plenty of dental resolutions to make, too! Here are some tips that will help you achieve a healthier smile in the new year:
- Brush at least twice a day for two full minutes with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once a day. Flossing allows you to reach and clean the spaces in-between teeth that your toothbrush is unable to reach.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or earlier if you start to notice fraying or after you’ve recovered from being sick. This will ensure your toothbrush is always working effectively.
- Choose sugar-free gum over regular gum. If you chew sugar-free gum after a meal, it can actually help remove small food particles that are lingering. Gum chewing also helps your mouth better regulate saliva, which is a natural way for your mouth to clean itself of food particles.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and minerals; foods like fruits and vegetables promote healthier teeth.
- Avoid foods and drinks high in sugars such as sodas and candies. The sugar can attract plaque, which can cause tooth decay.
- Drink more water; it contains fluoride, which is a natural mineral that helps strengthen your tooth enamel.
Visiting the Dentist
Finally, make sure that you visit our office for a routine dental exam and cleaning at least every 6 months. We will be able to examine your mouth for any signs of potential dental problems and also thoroughly clean your mouth of lingering plaque and tartar, which can also result in the reduction of bad breath.