Many individuals are left with a bad feeling after hearing that they are in need of a root canal treatment. However, they are often needed for patients with an infected tooth. Our team at Town Square Dental is eager to provide a wide range of treatments performed by our experienced team. There are many misconceptions revolving root canal treatments and how they are performed. Continue reading on to learn five common myths about root canal treatments.
- Root canal treatment is painful. Prior to the procedure, your dentist will provide an effective form of anesthesia in order to eliminate any pain or discomfort felt during the procedure. Many people experience severe pain from their infected tooth, but the treatment helps to relieve any pain once felt.
- Root canal procedure requires many visits to your dental clinic. Root canal treatments can be completed in just one visit by many dentists. Some offices require up to three appointments. The condition of each individual patient will determine the duration of their treatment plan.
- A root canal “kills” the tooth. The purpose of a root canal treatment is to remove any signs of decay and bacteria from the inside of the tooth. This area is known as the pulp and contains the nerves and different chambers. The tooth is not killed, simply properly cleaned.
- Root canal procedure is not very successful. If the teeth surrounding the infected area are in good condition and the patient follows up with good oral hygiene habits, then the root canal procedure will be very successful.
- Root canal treatment causes illness. Root canals remove harmful bacterias that could travel to the rest of the body. The treatment also helps to prevent future infections from occurring.
Root canal treatments are meant to improve a patient’s oral health and provide them with lasting care by eliminating factors that could damage the rest of the body. If you have any more questions regarding root canal treatments, then contact our Town Square Dental office for further information. Call our local dental office today to set up your next appointment!